NFL 2010 Free Agency Day 1
The free agent period began last week, and it didn’t take long for teams to make a splash. The biggest news of the day was probably the signing of Julius Peppers by the Chicago Bears. According to ESPN, Peppers signed a six year deal worth $91.5 million with $42 million being guaranteed. Peppers will hopefully revitalize a defensive line that was once deemed one of the best in the NFL during its Superbowl appearance in 2007. Eversince then, their line have been plagued by injuries and inconsistent play, which has led to disappointing seasons where they did not make the playoffs. The Bears were definitely one of the most active teams the first day, also signing Chestor Taylor for four years worth $12.5 million and Brandon Manumaleuna for five years worth $17 million.
Another team that put their mark on the first day was the New York Giants and their acquisition of defensive back Antrel Rolle. He signed a five year deal worth $37 million, $15 million guaranteed. This will make him the highest paid safety in NFL history. Rolle was an integral part of the Cardinal’s defense when they appeared in Superbowl XLIII. The signing of Rolle bolsters an already strong defense. He will be joining Aaron Ross and Corey Webster to produce one of the toughest backfield in the league. The complete list of signed free agents from day one are as followed:
-Atlanta Falcons signed CB Dunta Robinson
- Chicago Bears signed DE Julius Peppers
- Chicago Bears signed RB Chester Taylor
- Chicago Bears signed TE Brandon Manumaleuna
– Detroit Lions signed WR Nate Burleson
– Miami Dolphins signed LB Karlos Dansby
- New York Giants signed FS Antrel Rolle
- Baltimore Ravens acquire WR Anquan Boldin from Arizona Cardinals and a 2010 fifth-round draft pick to the Baltimore Ravens Friday in exchange for third and fourth round picks in 2010
- Cleveland Browns traded DL Cory Williams along with a seventh round draft selection for the rights to the Detroit Lions fifth round pick.
- San Diego Chargers traded CB Antonio Cromartie to the New York Jets for a third-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft, but could be a second round draft choice based on Cromartie’s and the Jet’s performance.
- Green Bay Packers re-signed OT Chad Clifton to a 3-year deal
- Miami Dolphins re-signed QB Chad Pennington to a 1-year deal
- Philadelphia Eagles re-signed RB Leonard Weaver to a 3-year deal
- Miami Dolphins released LB Joey Porter
- Miami Dolphins released FS Gibril Wilson
- Miami Dolphins released LB Akin Ayodele
- New York Jets have released RB Thomas Jones
- Philadelphia Eagles have released LB Will Witherspoon