Donte Stallworth charged in Miami for man’s death
Posted on the FIU Sports & Entertainment Law Blog:
An arrest warrant charging Stallworth, 28, with DUI manslaughter was filed in the March 14 accident that killed 59-year-old Mario Reyes. If convicted, Stallworth would face up to 15 years in prison.
Stallworth’s blood-alcohol level after the crash was .126, well above Florida’s legal limit of .08, according to results of a blood test. Stallworth will also be charged with DUI, which carries a possible six-month sentence plus fines and community service for first offenders.
“Whenever a deadly accident occurs and a driver is impaired, families suffer,” said Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle in a statement. “I can only repeat this message over and over: If you are going to drink, don’t drive.”
Stallworth, who is expected to surrender in court Thursday, released a statement last month saying he was “grief-stricken” over the accident. Prosecutors said they will ask that he be released on $200,000 bail.
The Browns said in a statement that they are “disappointed” that Stallworth has put himself in this position.
“We are saddened by the circumstances that have taken place and our thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Mario Reyes,” the statement said. “We have been in communication with the commissioner, who is reviewing the situation under league policies, and we will withhold further comment at this time.”
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league will review the case under its conduct and substance abuse policies.
“As the state attorney has said, this was a tragic accident that raises serious issues and we join all those who have expressed their sympathies to the Reyes family,” Aiello said.
Rest of the article here.